Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has divulged the Federal Government’s intent to invite the presidential candidate of the PDP, Atiku Abubakar, for questioning once he returns from his visit to the United States of America.
Mohammed made this known while speaking to state house correspondents today, Friday, January 18 2019, Mohammed said Atiku is expected to come forward for questioning over his alleged role in the collapse of former Bank PHB, noting that fresh evidence before the government indicates that Atiku benefited from slush funds that caused the fall of Bank PHB.
According to the Minister of Information and Culture, the government has “paper trail which shows that he benefited from N156 million.” ‘“It started from an internal memo dated 13 January 2009 asking that a draft in favour of Atiku Abubakar of 156 million should be raised,” he said.
Mohammed clearly stated that Atiku will not be arrested when he returns from his trip to the States, however, the former vice president will have to answer questions over the allegations.
“We want him to stay in the U.S. for as long as he wants but he has to explain to Nigerians when he returns,” he remarked.
As regards Atiku’s visit to the U.S.A, the minister said the government had earlier issued a statement advising the U.S. not to issue him a visa. He however admitted that it remains the prerogative of the U.S. government to determine who their visa is issued to.
“We are not perturbed one bit. He can go ahead and get a U.S. green card. That will not save him from imminent defeat in the forthcoming election,” Mohammed said.